Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hot Chocolate Cookies

I wish I had my camera when I made these. they are super good and I highly recommend making these!! I first saw them made when poking around Culinary in the Desert's food blog and put the recipe on the 'will make list' but didn't have any hot chocolate mix (go figure). Well the holidays rolled around and of course among the many vendor gifts that I receive from work, I got some hot chocolate mix, so I pulled out the recipe from my huge pile of 'will make soon' and went to town! Of course that's the time when my camera charger was missing so I could only take a crappy picture from my blackberry. So for now you can see the cookies compliments of Culinary in the Desert until I make them again sometime and repost.
Courtesy of Culinary in the Desert

Hot Chocolate Cookies (Adapted from Land O Lakes)

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup instant hot chocolate cocoa mix - milk chocolate flavor works good
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
24 large marshmallows, cut in half crosswise
For the glaze:
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp Dutch-process cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350*F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa mix, baking soda and salt.In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined after each. Mix in milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
Using a teaspoon cookie scoop, drop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until the cookie are set, about 8 minutes. Remove and carefully place a marshmallow, cut side down, in the center of each cookie. Place back in the oven and continue baking until the marshmallow begins to look puffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and let cookies sit on the baking sheet for 1 minute before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze
Place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, add butter, milk and cocoa. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil - let cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into the bowl of confectioners' sugar and beat until creamy. Immediately spoon a little of the glaze over each of the cooled cookies.
Makes about 48 cookies.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin