Thursday, March 6, 2008

Granola

So I've been craving granola lately...you know...the homemade kind. But of course having no time make any I go to my friend TJ's and buy their Maple & Pecan Granola -- YUM-O. But I still miss that good ol' fashioned get your hands dirty homemade granola. I remember when I was growing up my mom used to make it in the kitchen sink then transfer it to a huge jellyroll pan and turn it every so often in the oven. I remember that was my job...to watch the clock and then flip the granola!! I LOVED IT!


So a couple days ago I'm in a meeting with my boss and we get on the subject of breakfast, etc, etc and he says...I have a really good recipe for granola...I say BRING IT ON and so he begins to dictate the recipe. I scrambling to write it down because of course I never took short-hand and god forbid that I ask him to repeat it. So I write down what I can and say thanks. Then I go email my caterer aunt and ask (aka BEG) her for her granola recipe and then compare the two. The recipe here is a combination of both. And all I can say is...I have a winner!! The taste brought be back to the days of my mom's kitchen sink granola! YUM!

Granola
Adapted from My Boss & My Aunt Hope


1 large box old fashioned oats (42oz)
1 cup roasted Wheat Germ
1 cup Honey
1 cup oil
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup macademia nuts, chopped
2 cups coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, dried blueberries, etc)

In a large bowl, mix oatmeal, nuts, coconut, wheat germ, sunflower seeds. Mix well. Measure oil into the measuring cup and swirl it around befor epouring into bowl. Then measure out the honey in the same, unwashed cup. The oil will help the honey exit the cup. Toss everything together until evenly coated. Add vanilla and orange juice. Mix well.


Pour out into a large jellyroll pan. Bake @ 300*F for 1-1/2hrs. Stir every 20 minutes or so. Let it get golden brown. Let stand for 40 minutes, break it up with a fork then add the dried fruit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin