Sunday, February 17, 2008

Iced Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies

So my ex-dog-walker-turned-friend has a lemon tree (meyer) and my other good friend has a lemon tree (regular) and both give me lemons...so what do I make? Of course Lemon Cookies!! I remembered that I had printed out a Lemon Poppyseed cookie recipe awhile back and so after digging thru my 'will make soon' file of recipes, I found it. I tried one (with the glaze) and it was very good. Kinda reminded me of a shortbread cookie with lemon flavoring & poppyseed! I'm waiting for the glaze to set on the cookies so I can try that version also. It made just under 2 dozen cookies (22) which is perfect especially for a first time cookie recipe! I think next time I will try my go-to lemon cookie recipe, add some poppyseeds and see how that variety works. Stay tuned for that!!


Iced Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Adapted from RecipeZaar

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp lemon zest
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp poppyseeds

GLAZE
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350*F.

Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the egg and lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the poppy seeds with the mixer on low speed.

Drop dough by heaping teaspoon 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden. Cool on sheets for 1 minute; transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.

GLAZE: Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; mix well. Drizzle glaze over cookies in a random or decorative pattern; let stand until glaze is set, about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Gorgeous cookies!!

CIA-Cooking In An Apron said...

Thanks Deb. These cookies were yummy!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin