Sunday, April 13, 2008

Petite Vanilla Scones

Ok, fine, I'll admit it...I'm a Starbucksaholic. And to top it off I'm addicted (and I mean HARD addict) for their Petite Vanilla Scones....Yum-the-freak-O! And if that's not enough, I get super mad each time I purchase them because I know that I could make an entire batch of them for the price that I pay for just 3 of them (get real...who can just have one of those petite things!!!!) So of course the hunt was on and I found this recipe a while back and have been making them homemade ever since. Do I still go back to Starbee's and purchase them? Of course! It would take the fun outta being an addict!!!! LOL I will admit that this recipe is much lighter/less dense than the one's at Starbucks. I actually like these BETTER because I'm not a fan of eating carboard scones! I also added the vanilla beads to the glaze so it would resemble Starbucks!

I also decided that this would be my April entry for Master Baker's challenge. This recipe screams out vanilla and all the essence of its true aromatic flavor. Vanilla: the flavor of the month!

Petite Vanilla Scones
Adapted from RecipeZaar

Dry Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

Wet Ingredients
1 cup regular full-fat sour cream
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
water, as needed
1/8 tsp vanilla beads

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.

Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until flour resembles coarse meal, or use the following tip: The "grate" method: grate a block of cold butter against the large holes of a box grater. Toss the butter ribbons with the flour mixture, and then use two knives to cut the flour-coated ribbons into 1/4-inch pieces.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg yolk and vanilla extract until blended. Add this to the flour-butter mixture and stir with a fork until dough forms a cohesive ball. Use a spatula to get the dry bits fully incorporated. (It may not seem to have enough liquid at first, but the dough will eventually come together.).

Place the sticky dough onto a parchment-lined (or ungreased) baking sheet and pat into a disk about 1-inch in height. Cut the dough into wedges but do not separate. Or scoop dough into a mini scone pan if available. (Yield will vary depending on how big you slice the wedges.).

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.


Place powdered sugar in a medium bowl, and add water one teaspoon at a time, mixing vigorously until smooth and runny.

Use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of glaze over the hot scones. Brushing rather than drizzling gives a smoother appearance and requires less glaze.

Serve immediately. Store cooled scones in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally...I'm not the only one who is totally and gloriously addicted to the Starbucks petite vanilla scones!!!

At first, 3 satisfied me, but then it became 6, and a few times I've purchased the entire box. Today I actually purchased them frozen; they were just as tasty!! I'm trying to figure out an easy way to make these, using something like bisquick, since I'm NOT a baker like you. Maybe I'll have to try the recipe, but first I'll try an easy way. I got the idea after finding a vanilla glaze in the premade frosting section. What a wonderful way to spend a few hours...reading a great book, drinking a venti skinny vanilla latte w/whipped creme and a plate full of petite scones. Michelle in Tampa Bay


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin